Why is there a Level of Care Service System
This system was Legislatively mandated prior to 1990 to stop the institutionalization of children and better ensure that children have the opportunity to be placed in the least restrictive, most family like setting possible. The LOC Service System was mandated to be incorporated into the State of Texas Administrative Code with DFPS being the Oversight Agency to ensure implementation.
- Process began in 1983 with the Health and Human Services Coordinating Council
- This system went into effect in 1990
- DFPS has contracted with Youth for Tomorrow for 29 years to assist with the implementation of this system
- All services performed by YFT are according to the Polices approved by DFPS
- Texas Service System Program Monitoring
- Level of Care Authorizations to include
Intake – Non Scheduled Reviews
– IPTP Reviews & Treatment Foster Care Reviews
LOC Review Process
REVIEW & DETERMINATION
How to Determine a LOC
–YFT has a template to determine an LOC
–YFT has a scoring method to determine an LOC
–YFT has a check list to determine an LOC
–The YFT contract has incentives that pertain to increases or decreases in authorized services.
How to Determine a LOC (continued)
Fact: The Snap Shot Description
YFT uses the Level of Care definitions to determine a child’s current service needs. Clinically trained professionals from YFT use these definitions to synthesize their knowledge about a child’s psychological and social functioning and then assign a single service rating. The service authorization is determined in the context of a broad review of the clinical information submitted by the provider about the child’s trauma, social functioning, behaviors while in placement, behaviors while in school, medical conditions, and interpersonal relationships with children and adults.
In addition the following information must be taken into account
It is the expectation of DFPS that contract providers have services in place that are above the minimum standards of licensing available to the children in DFPS care.
- New Contracts
- Existing Contracts
–Compliance or Non-Compliance